Tuesday, April 10, 2012

No means no! - No sugar, please

No means no! - Bargain Hunters - Page 2 - BabyCenter:

'via Blog this'



NO.  Just No.  What an amazing display of antisemitism and selfishness.
As a Jewish mother, I do not need to change my parenting to accomodate a majority Christian country.  I do not need to violate my faith by not complaining that my local grocery store shelved the Passover groceries with a display of pork products (pepperoni, etc.)  You do not get to tell my kids things like, "Oh how sad it is that Santa doesn't come to your house."  


Now if I were demanding that you offer my kid only organic, Kosher for Passover treats, you would have a point.  But simply saying, "No thank you.  We don't celebrate Easter" does not give ANYONE permission to slip anyone's kid candy and sympathy for not celebrating.  And that is exactly what the OP said in her post...that she said "Thank you, but we don't celebrate Easter."   That's a polite and sufficient answer and as with other things a parent says to a stranger, should be respected.   
OP...I'm sorry that happened.  I know how hard it is when there's so much ignorance and willful circumventing of your parenting about  things like this.  But you're raising your child up right-to be confident and firm about what is right for her, and that will go far, whether the question is faith or something else.  



Last edited 04/07/2012
I absolutely would report her to management. That is bullshit!!!

Reminds me of a time long ago when somebody tried to give my brother and me a religious pamphlet. My mom said 'no thank you, we are not religious" we started walking away and the guy came up and shoved the pamphlet in my hand and said "Jesus loves you." My mom flipped her shit on this guy....I mean, I had never seen her so angry at somebody!! You just do not give a child something when their parent says "NO." End of story.

And adults should know better than to address a child directly if their parent has already basically told them to back the fuck off. Man, stuff like this really gets me steamed!!

Like doubledipplicious above said, she is an ignorant bitch and deserves to learn a lesson.
BecauseIhavetwo
Posted 04/07/2012
I agree, no means no.  I would be fuming too.  The lady was way out of line. 
Posted 04/07/2012
PVMom, OP doesn't owe this woman an explanation for anything! She said "no thanks, we don't celebrate." no matter what the saleswoman thinks of her, or the reason why she was declining the candy, that should be the end of the story. Period.
turquoise31
Last edited 04/07/2012
OP:
I hear you.
Call the store back and report the incident and describe the saleswoman.  That is uncalled for-- undermining your authority as a parent to your own child, to the point that it causes a major disruption to your shopping experience.
Report the BEEOTCH.
She needs to respect you as a parent, even regardless of your religion (but, yes, she should respect your religion as well).

No comments:

Post a Comment