Saturday, October 13, 2012

As I Lay Dying - Coffee Fueled Rant Of The Day

As I Lay Dying (novel) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

'via Blog this'


(This book was hard to get through because it was so grim and depressing. Halfway through, we find out why. Religion, once again, makes everybody a complete mental-case. "I guess I will beat the students where I teach. Lemme have an affair with a 'Man of God.' Oh NO, I'm preggers, now I gotta marry somebody I don't love. Now some busybody is all up in my grill because she thinks I don't love God enough, for Chrissakes. Now the minister thinks he's gonna get busted so he wants to go make sure this chick doesn't spill the beans, but pretends he's gonna confess, but then is relieved, I think, to find this sinner already dead." 

Wouldn't life be ever so much more pleasant if sex were treated as a normal, healthy part of it instead of a Godawful sin? And how about not making it IMFUCKINGPOSSIBLE to survive if you are a woman who gets pregnant. To THIS day, if you get pregnant, you are fucked for life, and NOW abortion rights are very much in jeopardy? Please. I am not just pro-choice. I am all for abortion for anyone who wants one. It's not like most people are all that damn great, anyway.

And by the way, it is a FACT that suppressing your sex drive is unhealthy for your body. If people weren't so repressed and miserable they wouldn't be so freaking fat, sitting in front of the TV living vicariously through people who can get laid while they stuff their faces with corn chips and nacho's and soda.)

From the book:

Cora, Tull’s wife, remembers Addie’s unchristian inclination to respect her son Jewel more than God. Thereafter follows a chapter narrated by Addie herself (it is not made clear whether she is speaking from beyond the grave or this chapter represents her deathbed thoughts and is placed out of chronology) recalling events from her life: her loveless marriage to Anse; her affair with the local minister, Whitfield, which led to Jewel’s conception; and the birth of her various children. When Whitfield hears Addie is dying, he heads for the Bundren's, intending to confess to Anse. On arrival he learns that Addie is already dead, realizes that she has not revealed their affair, and decides that his sincere intention to confess was just as good an actual confession, and abandons his plan.

1 comment:

  1. It's by William Faulkner, if anyone is interested in reading it. It's really just pissing me off. What a depressed, miserable bunch of people.

    ReplyDelete