Tuesday, May 29, 2012

No Free Ride: Television Turned My Best friend Into An Idiot

Seven or eight years ago my cable was shut off. I didn't think I watched that much TV. I was hooked on ER reruns and did have a little withdrawel. I almost had somebody tape them for me, but before that could happen I ended up forgetting about it.

It's the best thing that ever happened to me. I think for myself, now.

I noticed when the switch was made from regular cable to...satellite? (Not sure as this didn't effect me but I heard on the radio-which I no longer listen to, either, opting for a seven thousand plus songs on my ipod, instead) the government was offering free converters to those who couldn't afford them and I wondered why. TV is not like food or shelter or medical care, and that's harder to get for free.

One thing that drives me absolutely insane is that invariably when with a group of people get together they start talking about TV shows or, worse, commercials!

One thanksgiving my aunt turned on the TV so as not to miss an episode of "Something Stupid" (can't remember the title.)

I try to talk about real life issues and my family and friends are so dulled into a false sense of security by years of watching happy endings I'm called "paranoid."

One of my aunts works for a law firm and had never heard the word "mysogynist."

One of my uncles is a landlord but had no clue what caused the housing bubble or the foreclosure frauds.

Nobody seems to care the it's been declared in court that "News" doesn't have to be "accurate." It's classified as "entertainment." This was ruled in in a court of law and now sets a precedent!

Even people who experience the real life problems stemming from real life issues which they could do something about, don't do anything as they are too busy "relaxing" in front of the TV after a hard days work. I've got a few friends and family who are lulled into submission via the Bible which promises happy endings to believers, or at least pretenders or tithers.

My one TV addict friend, a devout consumer, thinks I'm some kind of snob and is always pushing shows on me like a drug dealer pushing crack "You have to watch this!" I send her articles about women's rights, or whatever applies to her, and she doesn't have time to read them!

But she will be the first to complain when she is overworked and underpaid, having no idea why (ignoring real news and social issues.)

She tells me my internet addiction is the same as her TV addiction. I hardly think "Real Housewives" is the same as email alerts regarding things I am interested in rather than what TV wants me to be interested in.

Also, watching is passive entertainment. Reading actually stimulates the mind. TV is junkfood for the brain, and has the same effect. Fat body, fatbrain. Clogged up with garbage that will kill you.

My cable got shut off all those years ago and it was a great thing. Recently, I thought, what will the capitalists do without the ability to reach us through TV? Then I remembered they're willing to give it away free.

Always be suspicious of anything offered for free.

Bibles are pushed for free all the time.

I know a guy who became more pious with the more "immoral" things he did. It's interesting to note that when his cable was cut off due to lack of his paying the bill, he was so distraught without the TV that he cried. Cried.

No comments:

Post a Comment