Saturday, May 11, 2013

Need An Abortion In Texas? Don't Be Poor | The Texas Observer

Need An Abortion In Texas? Don't Be Poor | The Texas Observer:

'via Blog this'“I had to tell her because I needed the ride”
Martha, an unemployed mother of two, is 16 weeks pregnant and needs to raise $380 by tomorrow. The abortion clinic has already offered her financial assistance, but she still can’t afford the procedure. The urgency is clear in Martha’s voice. “I want to do this before it gets too far along,” she tells Craft. “If I start feeling it, then I won’t be able to go through with it.” Craft offers her $100 and asks if she has anyone to help her raise the rest. Martha gives a deep sigh. “My mom’s the only one who knows,” she says. “My boyfriend doesn’t work, and he doesn’t even know. I couldn’t ask my mom … she’s already pissed that I’m not working, but I had to tell her because I needed the ride.”
The ride Martha referred to is the 50-mile round trip to the abortion clinic so that she could have a government-mandated sonogram. In January 2012, a law came into effect requiring Texas women seeking abortions to hear a clinician describe the fetus’ physical characteristics and to view it on a screen. They must then wait 24 hours before proceeding with the abortion. The waiting period and mandatory ultrasound has added personal, financial and logistical barriers to getting an abortion. In a 2012 survey conducted by the Texas Policy Evaluation Project at UT-Austin, women had to travel an average of 42 miles to have their consultation. Some traveled more than 400 miles. The research team discovered that almost one-quarter of women found it hard to get to the clinic for the sonogram. On average, the women in the survey spent an extra $146 on travel, accommodation, childcare and lost wages to comply with the sonogram law requirements.
Craft makes a note to send the $100 voucher directly to Martha’s clinic. She breathes deeply before moving on to her next call.

No comments:

Post a Comment