Thursday, June 21, 2012

Modern-day slavery ensnares millions worldwide - World - CBC News

Modern-day slavery ensnares millions worldwide - World - CBC News:

'via Blog this'First-hand accounts from victims highlighted the physical and psychological toll of modern slavery.
“I wasn’t allowed to go anywhere, they locked us in. They didn’t lock us in the house, they locked us in our room. The three of us in a size of room that’s not enough for one person," recalls a labour trafficking survivor whom the report refers to as Todor. "I guess they rented us out, or landed us, or bought us? I don’t understand what happened. They simply [abused] us physically, mentally and emotionally during that eight months while I was there. I still am afraid, what will happen if they find me, or when they leave jail. I can’t go through that terror again, what I gone through while I was with them.”
The report encourages governments around the world to adopt laws and regulations that will enable them to identify and protect victims of human trafficking. It notes that the next few months will mark the 150th anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation, a document ratifying U.S. President Abraham Lincoln's commitment to abolishing slavery.
“The problem of modern trafficking may be entrenched, and it may seem like there is no end in sight," writes Clinton. "But if we act on the laws that have been passed and the commitments that have been made, it is solvable.”

No comments:

Post a Comment