Thursday, March 28, 2013

Can a doctor refuse a patient without insurance

Can a doctor refuse a patient without insurance:

'via Blog this'
  1. On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 07:46:03 -0500, bff182@hotmail.com (bff182) wrote:
    My husbands doctor retired this year. He has been with him for thepast 8 years. The doctor sent us a letter saying that he was leavingand included the name of the new doctor that would be taking over hispatients. When I called the new doctor I was told that he would nottake my husband on as a patient because we do not have medicalinsurance. We have always paid for medical needs at the time ofservice and have an excellent credit rating. I told them we would bepaying cash but they still refused to see my husband. My husband isnot ill he just needs his annual check up. Can a doctor legally refuseto take a patient without insurance? Is this a way some doctors workin order to over bill insurance companies? I really do not understandthis practice. I am now in the process of locating another doctor butjust wondered if this is legal. Any help?
    In the USA doctors are, in general, free to do as they please in situations like your's. The only requirement, imposed upon them by their oath[1] as a doctor (though I believe some states may impose legal obligations beyond that) is that they must render medical help in an instance where someone would either die or suffer if they did not give treatment. In some countries, like France for example, there is what is termed a "good Samaritan" law which requires even normal people to give what aid they can in an emergency. While looking up the French angle, I did come across this article:- http://www.mndaily.com/daily/1998/05...inions/oo0521/ Which got me thinking about how the doctor(s) in that ER could square their inaction with the Hippocratic oath. [1] The original (classical) Hippocratic oath can be found here:-http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/doctors...classical.html A more modern version, which lacks some of the magic, can be found here:-http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/doctors/oath_modern.html By the way, good luck to you both in finding a doctor that thinks about your needs. -- Bob. The facts expressed here belong to everybody, the opinions to me. The distinction is yours to draw... .
  2. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1

    Default Can a doctor refuse a patient without insurance

    bff182@hotmail.com (bff182) wrote in message
    news:<inhm309rn829kusfqg83h2lii7m7osirl1@4ax.com>. ..
    When I called the new doctor I was told that he would not take my husband on as a patient because we do not have medical insurance. ... We have always paid for medical needs at the time of service and have an excellent credit rating. ... I told them we would be paying cash but they still refused to see my husband. ...

    I'm a lawyer. I'm not giving you legal advice but here's what I would
    recommend to my client if she/he were in my office with your story:

    1. The doctor has the right to choose or refuse whom he wants, as
    long as it is not based on a legally impermissible basis, e.g. race,
    religion, etc.

    2. You want to go to another doctor, anyway. This guy is not
    interested in treating patients. He is interested only in making
    money. (I actually represent some doctors, and can tell you that the
    money seeking motive is a VERY big deal with these guys much of the
    time.) I would not say this but for your representation that you have
    an excellent credit rating and, I therefore presume, an excellent
    payment history.

    3. You should call the doctor who referred you to him, and let him
    know. This will probably have little impact, since he is probably
    being "bought out" by Dr. Moneygrubber, and will give you the old line
    "gee, that's not very nice, but there's really nothing I can
    (read:want or give a ****) can do... .

    4. Tell everyone you know about Dr. Moneygrubber's attitude and
    priorities.

    5. Call the local and state medical boards and file a complaint. The
    doctor will ahve to respond. PUSH THIS PROCESS AS FAR AS POSSIBLE.
    Make Dr. Moneygrubber spend as much time as possible on this. This
    may not accomplish much since they are set up primarily to protest
    their own.

    7. Tell everyone you know about Dr. Moneygrubber's attitude and
    priorities.

    8. File a complaint with all local hospitals where he is likely to
    have admitting privileges. Push this as far as possible. This may not
    accomplish much, since they are their own and will give you the "well,
    gee, that's not nice, but..." line, an laugh about it over wine.

    9. Call the local newspaper with your story. They might be
    interested, or not. Also, the local TV stations. If one of them
    decides to "take" the story, Dr. Moneygrubber will pay a dear price.

    10. Tell everyone you know about Dr. Moneygrubber's attitude and
    priorities.

    Please understand me-- many doctors are sincere, caring people.
    Please note I did not say "most". It might be most, but it's a close
    call. This guy clearly falls on to the $$$ side, rather than the Rx
    side.

No comments:

Post a Comment